Pages

Friday 12 January 2018

Summer learning journey Week 4 Day 3

Day 3: Social Systems

Activity 1: Mixed-Member Proportional (MMP)

In 1996, New Zealand adopted the MMP voting system. In September of 2017 we had a national election. Everyone in New Zealand, over the age of 18, was invited to vote for who they wanted to form the next government in New Zealand. The race was really close and in the end, three different political parties (Labour, New Zealand First and the Green Party), came together to form the new government. It is called a ‘coalition government’ because it includes different people from different political parties.

Imagine that you had to form a coalition government with two other people.  Who would you choose to partner with?

I would form a coalition with my son, Aronui, and with my friend, Amber. Aronui would be a great addition to the coalition because he is funny and kind. He would make us laugh and take care of us. Amber would be great because she is really smart and thoughtful. She is also good at making decisions. I think that we would form a great team. What about you? Who would you choose? Why?

Coalition Government

I would form a coalition with my mum and my older brother because they are a great combination, they a both smart and my mum has a big heart that can think about others before her. Also my older brother has the brains that can solve anything. I know this will be a great team.

Activity 2: Migration

Over the past few decades, there has been a huge rise in the number of people coming to New Zealand to live and/or travel. I was one of those people! In fact, I moved with my family to New Zealand in 2010 and I am so glad that I did. It’s a pretty amazing place to call home! At the moment I live about 10 minutes from three stunning beaches and a beautiful national park.

Speaking of home, where do you live? On your blog, please post a picture of your hometown and provide a list of three things that tourists, like us, could do if we came to visit. What do you like most about your hometown? (Remember the guidelines for being Cybersmart, and never post your address online).

My hometown of Almonte, Ontario

Auckland, New Zealand




Rainbow's End One thing you could do is race on cars, bump off other boat's, get your fear away from heights and many more things you can do.

Sky Tower One thing I know about this tower is that its one of the tallest building in New Zealand.

Orewa beach One thing that is amazing about this beach is that their is big waves that can push you back.



1 comment:

  1. Kia ora Opeti,

    My name is Emiely (pronounced “Emily”) and I work alongside Billy at the Summer Learning Journey!

    Activity 1: Your cousins sound like great people to form a coalition with! It is always great to have a compassionate and kind-hearted person on the team like your cousin, Faith. I bet she would be able to listen to the people of New Zealand and would make sure that their voices are heard. What are some qualities that you would be able to bring to your coalition?

    Activity 2: Opeti, I think you would make a great tour guide!! These are three awesome places to visit even as an Aucklander! Which place is your favourite and why? Who do you usually go to these places with?

    Did you know that last year I did the Sky Walk? It was a little freaky being 220 meters in the air, but the view was well worth it. I'll send you a picture of me doing the Sky Walk!

    Picture Sky Walk link:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5oPCpqGQ8S7WHJRUlZuV0RPQlE/view?usp=sharing

    It's awesome to see how actively you have been blogging this summer. I know the Summer Learning Journey team have enjoyed reading and commenting on your blog. Just a reminder that you can earn bonus points by commenting on other children's Summer Learning Journey blog posts. I'm sure they would appreciate your thoughtful and helpful comments.

    Noho ora mai,

    Emiely :)

    ReplyDelete