Pages

Wednesday 20 December 2017

Summer learning journey Activity 2 2017

Activity 2: Setting Sail
On your blog, write a short letter to a friend telling them about your voyage to New Zealand.
The first settlers to come to New Zealand must have been really brave! They had to leave their original homes and sail thousands of miles across the ocean on a special boat called a ‘waka’ to reach New Zealand.

Imagine that you were on board one of the wakas. On your blog, write a short letter to a friend telling them about your voyage to New Zealand. In the letter be sure to tell them how you feel about moving to a new country. If it was me, I would have felt really nervous…
                                              My Letter to my friend

Dear Laki I'm really excited about moving to the new country and can't wait to get there to explore the new place, but at the same time I am really nervous and scared because I haven't experience going on a waka before. I'm hoping that there will be no natural disaster or sharks while we a voyaging. I will let you know all about it once we get there. God bless you and your family

Love Opeti

Bonus Activity/ Waka Ama
To this day, the people of New Zealand still use waka. Instead of using their waka to transport them from one place to another, they sometimes use waka in special events and in sporting competitions such as Waka Ama. Both boys and girls compete in Waka Ama boat races.

Watch this short video of a Waka Ama race. On your blog tell us whether you would like to be in a Waka Ama race one day. Why or why not?

                                     Waka/Ama will I join or not?
I wouldn't like to be in real thing but would just do it for fun. This looks hard for me because you need to be really fit and have strong muscles to be able to row the waka on your own. I'm more like a field and court person then any water activity.






3 comments:

  1. Hey there Opeti, my name is Billy and I am from the Summer Learning Journey programme. Welcome and congratulations on completing the first day's worth of activities. Keep up the good work and I look forward to blogging with you over the summer break. It's a great way to keep up your fantastic writing skills.

    I like your honest opinion about the Waka Ama. I have to agree with you, it doesn't look like much fun, it looks like hard work and I would probably fall in too! I'm not sure I would be able to get back in once I had fallen out!

    Have you tried any other water sports before?

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Opeti,
    I have just finish reading your amazing work and I think that you have done great. I really liked the Bonus activity will I join or not? that is good thinking.

    Best regards Lily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there Opeti, it's Billy here from SLJ.
    I enjoyed reading your letter, I like the way you spoke about being nervous and hoping to make it across safely.
    Could you please tell me a little more about the weather, the waves, the fish, the food on the Waka?

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete