Pages

Friday 22 December 2017

Summer learning journey Day 3 week 1

                                                        Day 3: It’s All in the Family
Activity 1: The More, the Merrier?
In the 1800s, most families were pretty big. In fact, many parents had an average of seven to nine children.  Imagine that you were a child in the 1800s and you had nine siblings.

On your blog, please tell us how you would feel. Would you enjoy being a member of such a large family? Why or why not?
Being in a big family
I would like to be in a big family because the more the merrier, I'm from a family of eight me my dad and my mum and my brothers. I would say I have a big family and I like it because we get to share the house chores and have each other to talk and play with when we are not with our friends. With big families it's always hard when kids are still young but it will be eventually change to better life when they grow older.

Activity 2: Acknowledging Ancestry
All of us are members of a family. Some of us have large families and some of us have very small families. When I have the opportunity to talk about my family and my ancestry I sometimes choose to use a pepeha. It is a very special way of identifying who I am and where I come from. There are many different versions of pepeha but most provide people with information about who you are and where you come from (i.e. your whakapapa). Use the template provided below to prepare your own unique pepeha. If you need help please watch this short movie clip on preparing a pepeha.
Ko Mt Wellington te maunga. The mountain that I affiliate* to is…
Ko Tamaki River te awa. The river that I affiliate to is….
Ko te ? waka The waka that I affiliate to is…
Ko tōku tīpuna? My founding ancestor is…
Ko Sitani tōku iwi ?         My tribe is…
Ko Loamanu tōku hapu? My sub-tribe is…
Ko Ruapotaka tōku marae? My marae is…
Ko Auckland, New Zealand ahau. I am from…
Ko Seini rāua ko Les ōku mātua  My parents are … and …

Ko Opeti tōku ingoa. My

Bonus Activity: Fun Family Facts

Everyone’s family is unique. What makes your family special? Choose three people close to you and ask them what their two favourite things to do in summer are.

On your blog, write two fun facts about each person. For example, my Nana plays the bagpipes!
My Family members
My brother:
1. He likes to swim in the beach or pool.
2. He likes to eat ice-blocks and Ice-cream.
My cousin
1. He likes to spend time with his family.
2. He likes to play rugby and other sport.
My Dad
1. He likes to go fishing and catch fish.
2. He likes the long holidays from work and spend time with family.

 




4 comments:

  1. Kia Ora Opeti,

    Our family is a like we like to do summer things and spend time with family. My name is Mya and I am from Glen Innes School. What do you like to do in summer and why? Keep up the amazing work. Merry Christmas and happy new year:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonjour Opeti
    I am Vedel and one of the people participating in the Summer Learning Journey... I am from Glen Innes School.... What is one thing that you enjoy to do in summer and who do you do it with???

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there Opeti, thanks for completing another set of activities. You are doing a great job blogging these summer holidays. Keep it up!

    It's interesting that you are already in a big family so you can easily relate to the first activity. How big is your family? What do you like about it? And what don't you like about it?

    I was pleased to see that you were able to include a lot of information in your Pepeha. Well done! What would you say is your favourite line from the Pepeha and why?

    Thanks for sharing interesting facts about your family. It sounds like you have a really outgoing family who enjoy lots of fun activities. What would you say their dislikes are?

    Thanks, I look forward to reading your responses.

    Billy

    ReplyDelete